Saturday, July 07, 2018

It. Is. Hot. And Pools can Be Psychopath Triggers.

Ya, ya, ya.  I know.  It's not as hot as other places, but it has been really warm this week.  There has been a warm wind blowing, and it is super dry.  Yesterday, about three Utah wildfires were reported, and we woke up to smoggy skies.  I feel a little more empathy for my Chinese kids when the sky is full of smog.  I tried to run this morning, and I was hacking and coughing most of the time-- and I usually don't have a problem.  

This week,we splurged and bought a little pool for the kids.  It was half off at Smiths, plus I had a coupon-- so it came to.......$72!!! Add on some floating toys, pool cleaner, and a pool cover and it's like I never had a coupon!! Yay!  However, it is the best $ we've spent so far this summer, since I do not have to run them back and forth to a public pool now. (Like I would anyway... I know.)  The boys ARE taking swim lessons next week, so they will get their fill of swimming.  I am glad I bought the smallest size.  There were three sizes, and the largest was close to $300.  I honestly don't know where we would place a bigger one.  We don't want to burn up our grass in a section because of a pool.  

 If you can recall, about 11 years ago, our next door neighbors bought a large pool.  She emailed me and asked if it was okay to put it next to our property.  I told her I thought it was really cool they had a pool, but I was nervous because it was right next to our property, and my kids were still very small-- no fence.  Luke was 1, Sam was 4, and LL was 6. I never even asked if they would build a fence, never requested anything.  I just said I was nervous.  Anyway-- that incedent opened the door to me learning that my neighbor is a certifiable psycho.  She came over to my house, barged in and started to argue as to why she could have a pool.  I told her I never said she couldn't.  I asked her to leave, and she would not.  She was so irate, I finally told her I would call the police if she didn't leave.  She freaked out more (her husband is a sheriff).  She finally left after I gathered up the kids and went out to our car and drove off. Yes. Psycho.

Well-- I guess 11 years wasn't enough time for her to forget.  I honestly don't care any more, haven't thought about it for a loooong time.  I just try to avoid her as much as I can, and I am cordial with her if we ever talk.  Rich is always super friendly, and it drives her crazy.  Two days ago, she asked if Rich would come over to her house and meet outside.  She proceeded to tell him that her kids were very upset as to why we have put a pool on our property, and why it isn't a big deal if we do it.  Her oldest kids don't even live there anymore, they are grown up and have moved away!(WHAT???? I warned Rich that is what she was going to talk to him about.  She's nuts.)  He reminded her that we were always fine with a pool, just told her we were nervous because our kids are small. Is she worried that her 16 year old son is going to wander over to our pool, climb in and drown or something?  Then she rehashed everything that happened and even said that we told her we were going to sue them!  Uh, I don't recall ever saying that.  Rich never even talked to her about the pool-- I did.  I never threaten to sue anyone, ever.  Having a husband as an attorney makes people nervous in and of itself.  We figured that she remembers it that way because she was worried we would sue her, she was so crazy during the whole thing.  Any sane person wouldn't want to mess with her any longer than they have to.  She said that she was worried Rich was going to treat her youngest son, Caden, poorly because he is now in priests. Wow.  I wonder what wacko story she has been telling her kids and friends for the last 11 years about her "crazy neighbors that were going to sue them"?  It is so bizarre it is almost comical!  Then she started to argue and say that there is no "Attractive Nuisance" law in Newton, so they were perfectly justified to put the pool there.  Rich figured it wasn't worth the effort to explain local, state, and federal laws and how they work.  She kept saying over and over, "We know you guys hate us." Which as I said, is hilarious given that they NEVER talk to us unless they have to, and they won't even come in to tithing settlement or ever meet with him. He was just nice to her and offered just to start over and be friends.  

Proof right there that people create their own prisons.  I have been perfectly fine with crazy-pants-pool-lady for the last 11 years.  They have really been great neighbors other than that--- no wild parties, their kids are nice, they keep a nice clean yard, etc. They are ideal neighbors in that sense.  She is imprisoned by her insecurities.  Sad.  


 Meanwhile, we are loving just hanging out in the cool water.  Luke looks like someone stretched him out like a gummy worm over a floatation device.  The boys bought snorkels and love swimming around like sharks.  Sammy has had her friend out to sunbathe.  Laura Lee made a Nike insignia and glued it on to her skin so that she can bake it, then remove it and have a Nike sign like a temporary tattoo.  It worked. I just laugh and enjoy their funny, wacky kid ways.  I love that they will stay outside now for a long time! I also just enjoy the pool.  I have to admit, it is kind of funny that it is driving my neighbor nuts.  I am not as nice as Rich.  

1 comment:

Jangs said...

I have to say that looks real fun wacky neighbor or not. AAAHHHH looks great. Love your blog