Last Friday night was the start of the town party. I think I like it less and less every year. They have asked Rich and I to co-chair before, but that means the next year you are in charge. We have been able to avoid that for a while. I figured if I helped with the t-shirts I could get out of being in charge. At least that is what Delsa told me to convince me to take it on. It really was fine. I don't mind being at those things if I am actually doing something. I hate just mingling and walking around.
The boys took a quick trip to Star Valley a week before the town festivities. They played in the creek, caught fish, and helped Grandpa drive the tractor around.
Luke loves going because he can drive the ATV's around without mom there to get after him.
In other news, we have a rat-- uh, I mean dog at the house. Max got an overdue haircut. I got a little clipper happy, and well, the rest is just not there anymore. I think I took off about 5 lbs of hair from that poor doggie. He wasn't sure how to feel. In fact, I think he was able to jump about 2 more inches off the ground without all that hair weighing him down. I took of his Scottish kilt, and left his little beard-- because if I hadn't I think the neighbors would have set out a trap for a large weasel. His snout is unnaturally long for the canine species, and the beard helps to temper that tube-like snoz of his.
Raspberries have been plentiful, and would have been better if I had remembered to water them more. We made raspberry pie with the first batch. We pretty much ate the rest right off the canes or put them on our cereal each morning.
Honestly, I do not know why children that hate spiders so much will collect them in cups covered with plastic wrap. They also caught some praying mantis and grasshoppers. I guess it is just in their nature-- if you can capture it you are the one with the POWER!!! Whahahaha!!! We made them move a giant pile of rocks from behind the barn to another place on the property (ya-- one of THOSE kinds of chores) and they found all sorts of spiders. Consequently, it took them about two or three hours longer to do this job because they were busy being entymologists.
One Sunday, I took the kids to Mack Park to cool our heels. Sundays are long. LL started to balance rocks one on top of the other. Pretty soon, she had a city of rock towers and other kids in the park were following suit. I wonder how long they lasted?
It is that time of year, and the kids are busy walking their steers. Luke is super stressed because his steer isn't being very cooperative. They were filmed by the 4-H committee for an ad to feature the 4-H Livestock sale. They were pretty nervous, but I think that it turned out really cute.
Here are some shots of the town party. The Boyer cousins came up, because Matt is actually dating a really cute girl in the 2nd ward. She roomed with Matt's sister at USU and that is how they met. Sadie, Alley, and LL at the party:
LL had to relive old times when she entered the watermelon eating contest. It was about 12 years ago that she won the contest as a wee blondie. This time, she came in 2nd place, but the judges later determined that her watermelon slice was in actuality a tiny bit larger than the winner's. Because LL is such a good sport, she graciously did not contend the title, and now does not want watermelon for the rest of the summer.
Our annual trek to Bear Lake for the Olsen reunion was this weekend. On Thursday night, I snuck away with Luke and Sam to see Pickleville's production of Tarzan. We had a good time, and Sammy was able to see her teacher from the workshops, Slater. He played the bad guy who tries to kill the gorillas-- Clayton.
Luke, Slater, and Sam:
Rich took at nap next to the black rat before we went home.
Lisa put together a mini-pie eating contest. Rich won for the adult division. Sam won for the teen division. Spencer won for the children. I just couldn't be prouder.
I had a great surprise last Sunday when my old friend from Twin, Alice Hamilton Kear, showed up with her family! They live in New Mexico now, but she is graduating from BYU-I and she came up to officially walk and receive her diploma. Her family is adorable. Both of our first two oldest kids are the same ages-- in fact, her kids are only two weeks older than mine. She and her husband want to convince their kids to move to Cache Valley. I would love it if they did. She has 6 kids. Alice is one of those friends who we can pick up like we never lost track of each other. She is great.





1 comment:
Love you much. Can’t wait till you are here
Post a Comment