Monday, February 27, 2012

Darth Vader, Basketball, and Musicals

I don't know why I try-- I like to read other people's blogs much better, but I keep thinking that maybe I will be on the ball and put the blogs into a family book like a did, oh, about 5 years ago.  I have a lot of books to make, not to mention TONS of pictures that have not been printed.  Any suggestions?  I really do not like to scrapbook.  I would rather buy a bunch of photo albums and put them all in those-- but that will cost me a small fortune at this point.  Why not just leave them all on discs?? Is it just me, or do you like to not have to look at a computer screen for every bloomin' thing now?  I like a good solid something in my hand that doesn't send out electrical waves-- that is why I can't bring myself to buy a Kindle or a Nook.  I may change my tune in the future.  What do you think?  What do you do with all your photos?  With a digital camera I take many more photos than I used to.  I guess I should just be more selective on what I bring the camera out for and what I save?  Help!

Anyway-- this past month (or I guess two months) has been super busy.  February just flew by.  LL had basketball the last 8 weeks, and that was a lot of fun to watch her and her great little team.  LL puts her heart and soul into playing and I think she just about wore herself completely out the last game. She does a great job--- thankfully she didn't get my genes and she is much more coordinated and more of a natural at the sport than I was.  And-- lucky her, she also had her dad to coach.  Here they are after their last game, which they lost, but not without a fight to the bitter end.  It was a great game.
Here is a quick shot of LL taking the ball down court and making a basket at the last game.  She has been contacted by two different coaches of competitive teams (not the rec. team she is on now) to recruit her to play for them.  Let me just tell you-- that completely irks and disgusts me.  So we won't even go there.  I may be crazy and selfish-- and maybe I am ruining her future career (phffft), but she is only 10.  I will refrain from saying any more except,  "Blech."


 SO started musical theater class in Logan, and I now have to drive and pick her up from school then cart her in to her class-- which takes an hour to get there over all-- but she loves it.  Michael Ballam teaches the class himself, and after the first class, SO walked out saying, "I wanted Vanessa Ballam-- how come we have to have that guy???"  Uhhhhh.  He really is sweet with the kids and they all just love him.  He brought them all chocolates for Valentine's Day.  Because of her class, we have all been subject to numerous musicals the kids haven't ever seen, and I haven't seen for eons.  The funny thing is, LO gets more into it than most of them--- he loves to sing the songs from "Oliver".  I did nothing to encourage this but watch the shows-- believe me.  I am more of an appreciator of good music than a coach in the art. 
Last Saturday night, I was involved in this concert-- and it was so much fun.  If you do a concert collaborating with the Space Dynamics and Engineering departments along with the Music Department-- you know that John Williams' "Star Wars" theme is going to be a part of the show (music nerds + math/science nerds= reenactments of science fiction movies complete with background music).  Darth Vader and a Storm Trooper marched down the aisle, up onto the stage pretending to conduct-- then used the force to choke a girl from afar whose cell phone had gone off in the middle of the performance as she was saying "Hello?  Oh, I am at the dumb concert I have to attend for a class... gasp....gag".   It was all part of the act, of course.  The girls got to meet Jake Garn after the performance, and they thought that was pretty cool.  Thanks for coming, Grandma Jan and Grandpa Mark.  It was fun to see you guys.

10 comments:

Abby said...

I have no idea what to do with all our pictures either (since the word "scrapbooking" makes me get all stressed and sweaty). For now they are just on our computer too.
It sounds like you guys are busy and happy! I promise one day we're going to hear one of your performances. It's so great you are doing it!

michaelstubbs said...

I'm boring, but it sounds like you are all busy and having fun. Nice work. You have talented children.

wendys said...

It sounds like fun!! I used Shutterfly to make a photo book for my parents of the last family reunion. I have been planning for some time to make photo books for the kids, 1 for each year of their lives but I haven't done it yet. It was really user friendly and fun to have the finished product.

Julie said...

I'll have to try Shutterfly-- that is who did our Christmas card, but I didn't think of doing a photobook-- that would be great. Thanks!

SP said...

You make me miss you and your awesome family. I have two years of photos in digital photo books yet to print because we don't have the money. so apain.....

Jessica said...

Your kids sound like so much fun! I am still trying to figure out what to do with all our pictures also. I HATE scrapbooking, can't bring myself to do it, or spend money on it. I think I have decided to do the photobook thing, one for each year. And just do highlights. Hopefully my posterity won't hate me.

Jangs said...

My photos are all on the computer too. And we really enjoyed the concert and the time with the kids. We love you

Nae said...

Tons of fun! It was great to hear about the concert. I wish we could have gone!

Jen said...

Shutterfly has the best photo book interface - it's really my favorite. I've given up scrapbooking, and pretty much replaced it with Shutterfly! Good luck to you - it's so hard keeping up on all these memories!!!

Alice said...

No great advice from me...I feel your same dilema about the pictures. When you find the answers let me know. I am just grateful I don't have to have boxes and boxes of pictures to sort through. Having them digitized seems so much easier, but there are so many more. Which can be a good thing when I want to remember something...

I also agree with wanting to have hand-held real books and things to read. My eyes get tired of computers. Funny - I don't want real pictures, but I want real books. Call me crazy!

I sure miss you Julie and I am so proud of you for singing in a choir again, I miss your beautiful voice. What cute and talented kids. Hopefully one day I will get to meet them. :)