Wednesday, May 02, 2012

March through April Happenings

We have been a little busy these past few months, like everyone else of course.  SHO decided to inhale some nice size chunks of apples toward the end of March.  After a few days of horrible wheezing, the docs decided to do a bronchiostomy (sp?).  While he was under, the ENT extracted two nice size pieces of apple about the size of my entire pinkie fingernail (great size analogy, huh?).  He immediately was breathing better.   We spent the night in the hospital to make sure he would be okay. The tissue around the apple had already started to granulize, and there was a nice infection.  Lest anyone think I had been neglectful, I brought him in the morning after he had inhaled the apple while jumping off a stool during lunch to chase his older brother.   The first time, the ENT said he didn't think there was anything wrong.  Over the weekend, he sounded a little better, but Monday morning the NP called me and she said she thought about him all weekend, worrying that things just were not right.  We came back in and did more x-rays.  Sure enough, the right side of his diaphragm was not contracting or expanding and they were sure something was blocking the airways. ( We had x-rays before-- but no such evidence appeared.)  Thank goodness for women's intuition (not mine-- the NP's) and modern medicine. 

Then we decorated eggs, of course...
blew out some birthday candles.....

went to Hill Air Force Base, Temple Square, and Gma's and Gpa's over spring break...
did and Easter egg hunt with Lily...(I know this doesn't look like an Easter Egg hunt, so use your imagination. I'm not sure what SO is doing--- looking for eggs under Gma's foot?)
got all dressed up for Easter (SHO was not happy for this, and is therefore not in the photo).....
decided to play outside and enjoy the unusually warm Spring weather...
and of course, take care of orphaned baby goats. 
So finished up her Broadway Babies class, and had a great time.  She was so sad when it was over.  She finished with "Johnny One Note" from Babes in Arms.  The first time she sang it for Michael, he told her afterward, "SO!! If Ethel Merman were here she would give you a big hug right now!"  I guess he would know since he actually performed with her!! SO was pretty excited and she had a blast.  The kids were all so adorable, and it was fun to see them perform.  


Here is a clip of one of the goats following LO around like a puppy.  They really are like little puppies right now.  One of them wags its tail while it drinks from the bottle, and one is very shy.  The third one loves to play and chase the kids around.  LO's goat will also copy him, jumping when he jumps.  Who knew they could all have such different dispositions.  SO's goat is the most stubborn and does her own thing--- hmmmmmm, a little uncanny which ones they chose.
 We have also been playing LOTS and LOTS of soccer.  Don't you just love how big some of those uniforms are on those little guys?   I am quite relieved when soccer season is over, to be honest.  The kids love it, but it is nice when it is done.  I think SHO will also be glad when it is over.  Hope your Spring is going well!!

8 comments:

Jen said...

That's crazy about the apple inhalation, Julie! Yikes! So good that you caught it before it got any worse. Boys!

Other than that, I'm tired just reading your post. You guys are BUSY!

Jangs said...

What a great post. Whew! it has been busy hasn't it. Love the goats. Who knew they could be so cute. Love the picture of SO and Michael B. What a neat experience. And yes those soccer shirts look big! Love it all

Emma Jo said...

Poor baby boy! That is scary but I am glad for wonderful medical help! And as far as I'm concerned, we could all use a little baby goat!

wendys said...

Great update! We were so glad to see you on Sunday, hope to see you again soon.

michaelstubbs said...

Oh, we need goats too.

SP said...

Ha ha ! Great video. At first I thought Michael Balam (so?) was a woman....errr, I think he uses night cream on those eyes.

Jessica said...

I love the goats! so cute. My boys would go crazy to have those to play with! So sorry about the apple aspiration. Glad it all worked out okay!! Isn't having kids such an adventure!!!

Abby said...

I love that you are on a first name basis with "Michael," and I love that you casually threw in the orphaned baby goats, as if it were an every day thing. (Is it?) Your life is exciting. A little too exciting at the hospital part--so glad he is ok. Yuck!