Sunday, April 29, 2018

There's No One Like the Avengers.......





I had Sammy ditch school this Friday, and I took her to "Infinity War" .  I will freely admit I am not an Avengers/Marvel fan, but I had fun with Sammy.  As you can see-- it did not end happy.  And why would it?  They want us to come back for another movie in a year and spend more money! :)  We went to the matinee and it was $7 a piece.  The evening shows were $20 a piece.  And they wonder why they can't get people to come to the movies anymore.   I took her to lunch afterwards, but it took meeting up with her bestie, Emily, on Saturday to commiserate together.  Then she could feel peace about the terrible end!


 Laura Lee has been working very hard on "Peace in Christ" the youth theme song this year.  She will be accompanying the YW on Mother's Day.  When she wants to learn something, she is determined to do it.  She has really excelled on the piano this last year, and I have had nothing to do with it.  She just wants to learn.  I come in and help her every once in a while if she asks for help on something, but she has learned a lot of new songs.  

Not much else happened this week.  It has been beautiful weather so we have been outside a lot.   Spencer has already been covered in mud head to toe, so it is getting warmer.  He and his friends walked to a nearby ditch and made a dam.  Pretty soon they had a little lake and they were covered.  Then they ran around the yard and dried off playing baseball.  Luke was sick this week, he has had a Spring cold.  



When he stands up, he is just in his tighty whities, so you can just imagine for yourself.  Most of the kids wear these little neck ties with their clothes to school.  
Teaching went pretty good for me this week.  I have a new student that I taught who was dancing around in his underwear for half the lesson.  He was answering everything correctly so I didn't care-- plus he is only 5.  He sits by a giant window and I can see out onto the busy street about 10(?) stories below. 

 I can see the tall buildings and city lights.  Another one of my students who I teach at 4:30 am (6:30 pm Beijing time) showed me outside his window.  The sun had not set yet so I could see all the soccer fields, the busy streets and some buildings-- not quite as busy as the other kid's city.  I could actually see a green hill and some open space!  While teaching most of my classes, I can hear cars beeping outside, and the busy traffic.  I sometimes hear airplanes taking off-- it is kind of crazy.  It is still amazing to me that I can teach kids on the other side of the world.  I never would have imagined that when I was younger.  What will the future be like in 20 more years, I wonder? I hope it is good-- I see this as a very good thing connecting the world by small and simple means.  It is the children who will make a difference in the future, and these kids are learning more than English, I believe.  They are learning at a very young age that we are really all a part of a world community.

1 comment:

Jangs said...

I love your blog. I am so impressed with the teaching in China. It is a miracle of bringing us all together.
Tell Sammy I don't want to see the movie now. I don't want to be sad!!!
Hope Luke feels better. Playing in mud sounds so joyous and fun.
I would love to hear LL play. Miss being around you.
Love you all so much
MOM