Sunday, April 22, 2018

April, Come she Will.

Sheesh, April is flying by, but I feel like we never really get a break.  Yesterday we worked hard on the yard because it was actually a pleasant, non-windy day.  It has been so windy and cold. 

On Monday I subbed at Summit (where the boys attend).  We were out at recess and the wind had been blowing incessantly all day long.  It was a warm wind-- but while we were out it suddently shifted to a really cold wind.  We all went inside after that.  I really do not like their new school.  Their teachers have been wonderful, but the school as a whole is really lacking for support and a general good feel like their last school.  I subbed at their old school on Friday, and the teachers said they want Newton back.  I feel more at home there, but we have had many years of kids going there.  They are losing 2 teachers because there are not enough kids.  The only reason we were moved out to Smithfield, and I am positive of this, is for them to have enough numbers for a German languarge immersion program.  However-- when parents were asked if they would like a German program in a survey this year, it was shot down big time.  German???!?? Seriously?  I have major qualms about immersion schools.  I think that they should be charter schools, or if the district really wants them-- the WHOLE school should be immersion, not just half like they have in our district.  It creates a real rift that I have seen first hand while working in the schools.  All the "fringe"(poor behavior, bad grades) kids are in the regular teachers' classes, because they won't allow them to be in immersion.  Then, all the children who do not want to learn German or French have to be in classes with kids who have major problems.  Teachers feel disenfranchised and kids at school have social "status" problems.  At the Mandarin Immersion school I have subbed at,  the kids who speak Mandarin talk in front of the other kids in Mandarin and don't include them.  The kids who don't understand feel hurt and there are fights on the playground.  Anyway-- I could rant all day.  I am all for learning a new language, I just think the method they are usuing is ridiculous and ineffective.  I am mad that our town was used as a "numbers" pawn to qualify for a program that stinks. 

This morning the boys went out to the hammocks.  It is a beautiful day!


In other news, Sammy won the school council elections.  She was chosen to be on the council for the Freshman next year at Green Canyon.  She used this picture for a poster that said "Vote 4 Sam, I already told my grandparents that I won!"  

My favorite poster was the lame one I came up with.  "If you wear pants, Vote for Sam!"  I was so tired of all the cutesy "Pinterest" ones-- that I figured everyone would use.  Sammy didn't like it at first, but she said people would come up to her and say, "Hey Sam! I wear pants so I will vote for you!"  hahaha!   The other one said "If you Sleep, Vote for Sam" and we had a picture of her sleeping on her bed in her Unicorn Onsie.  I told Sammy the best way to win in Jr. High is to make fun of yourself!  

It is stake conference today.  Last night at stake conference, it was excellent.  Last year, a girl in LL's school was shot in the head.  She survived miraculously, and her mother spoke at stake conference last night.  It was an amazing talk.  Deseree is going to speak today-- she has some major physical problems-- the bullet is still in her head.  Her mother never mentioned the boys who shot her-- not once.  She never talked about feeling sorry for themselves at all.  She talked about their experience trying to hold on and have faith.  It was so good.  

On to another week.  I sort of dread Sunday, because that means Monday is around the corner.  I love my early morning job, but sometimes I miss staying up late!  


1 comment:

Jangs said...

Great week. Love Samantha's campaign. Good work. So glad you won. Love you all so much and miss you