Sunday, September 21, 2014

I Won't Grow Up!! But she is..... way too fast!



The last week of summer Sam went to a theater camp put on by Pickleville Playhouse.  The owners of the Playhouse live nearby, and their married couple kids put on a fantastic workshop.  It was only a week long, but she learned FAR more than she did at the last theater class she took (by a well known persona here in the valley, we aren't saying any names-- which had its own merits...)  They performed several songs for the parents and they had learned them all in a week.  The kids were adorable.  Sam has the first solo in this song from Peter Pan, "I Won't Grow Up".  She did a great job and had so much fun.  

Here she is with her adorable instructors:

In other news, the above mentioned girl also had her 11th birthday! She got pastels and art paper, being so inspired by her art teacher at school, and has been busy watching youtube tutorials for using oil pastels.


 A bit before the birthday, we had a Luau with some girls in the neighborhood.  We made cupcakes with sunbathing teddy grahams, and had a hula hoop competition that was quite amazing-- those little girls can swivel their hips forever!  Here are some of the cupcakes we made. 

THE HULA HOOPIN' GAL!

Here are some of the tropical beauties.

 In other news: LL gave her first talk in Sacrament meeting last Sunday.  I helped her a little bit-- but she put most of it together, in spite of what she jokingly says in the first paragraph.  Here it is if you would like to read it:

Good morning brothers and sisters, I am glad to be here today.  When Brother Griffin asked me on Tuesday if I would talk, he mentioned that he knew my dad would also be giving a talk in Priesthood meeting.  I told him that I would be glad to give a talk, but I needed to check with my mom to make sure she wouldn’t mind writing TWO talks instead of one.

This summer, my siblings and I were fascinated with the story of Helen Keller.  Most of you might already know who she is, but for those who don’t, Helen Keller was born in 1880 in Alabama.  When she was 19 months old, she contracted a fever that left her deaf and blind.  As Helen grew, her parents were unable to guide her behavior.  She became so undisciplined she was almost like an animal—walking around at dinner eating off of others’ plates, throwing wild tantrums, and wandering off wherever she wanted.  Her parents grew desperate for help, and contacted a school for the blind.  The school sent them a young woman named Anne Sullivan who was also visually impaired. 

Anne was just what Helen needed.  She recognized that Helen needed strict rules and guidance—without those she would never learn.  In spite of what the family thought was best, Anne knew that Helen needed the rules in order to grow and learn.  She wouldn’t allow her to eat off of others’ plates, she demanded that Helen learn manners, and respect for those around her.  Helen eventually understood that Anne was there to help her—not to hurt her.  She learned that the rules gave her more power to learn and communicate with her family.  Eventually, Helen became one of the most accomplished figures of her time—paving the way for other deaf and blind individuals to succeed in life. 

Helen believed at first she was happiest doing what she wanted—so did her parents.  With Anne’s help, they realized the strict rules gave Helen more power to reach her potential.  Just like today, the world thinks that commandments are rules that take away our freedom.  The world believes that we are only happy when we get to do what we want.  God teaches us that true happiness comes from keeping the commandments.  King Benjamin, who was also a prophet, taught his people this very thing in Mosiah 2:41

“And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God.  For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness…”

Another prophet, Nephi, understood perfectly the blessings of keeping the commandments.  He tried over and over again to help his older brothers Laman and Lemuel. In 1 Nephi 15:25, he says:

“Wherefore, I, Nephi did exhort them to give heed unto the word of the Lord; yea I did exhort them with all the energies of my soul, and with all the faculty which I possessed, that they would give heed to the word of God and remember to keep his commandments always in all things.”

In spite of Nephi’s efforts, Laman and Lemuel remained spiritually deaf and blind.

The prophets have spoken to us through the scriptures, and they speak to us today, teaching us that to be truly happy and reach our potential, we must keep the commandments.  We can overcome our spiritual blindness by doing what they say. 

At the beginning of Helen’s life, Anne Sullivan was her teacher and governess.  As the years went by, Anne and Helen became true friends and companions.  Anne had helped to work a miracle in Helen’s life—giving her a vision of who she could be.

 As we keep the commandments through our life, our Savior can do the same for us. Because of the atonement, he knows what we struggle with, and he can be our eyes and ears when we ask for His help.  He is the ultimate example of keeping the commandments.  He says in Doctrine and Covenants section 19 verse 24:

“I am Jesus Christ; I came by the will of the Father and I do His will”

And before that, in verse 23 he says:

“Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my spirit, and you shall have peace in me”

 He wants us to succeed and to reach our potential as Sons and Daughters of God.  As we keep the commandments and follow the Savior, he will work miracles in our lives. He will also become our best friend and companion.


8 comments:

SP said...

GLad for the update! S is getting so so tall! Good talk LL! I love the party idea. Miss you.

Jangs said...

That was all fantastic. Talk, song, party everything. Thanks for sharing

wendys said...

Happy Birthday SO! She is so grown up. Great job on your talk LL, Ian actually gave a talk today too! He was nervous but did a great job during the primary program.

michaelstubbs said...

Your kids are so talented.

Abby said...

Happy Birthday to cute S!! Great talk LL.

Jen said...

What a great talk! I love seeing what you all are up to. What cute girlies!

Unknown said...

I must say that I'm very impressed and proud of your girls! You're doing a great job with them! Miss you a tons!
Love y'all!

Nae said...

Aw, that's all so wonderful! I am so happy for her! What a cutie. And fun parties, great talk, cool theater camp, just...yay!