Then, I don't know what it is about our boys, but they like to scare us with funky illnesses and such. A little over a year ago, SHO woke up and couldn't walk. He would collapse when he stood up. No injury, no visible anything. We took him into the doc and had x-rays. Nothing showed up. He was fine the next day. Every once in a while since then, he would wake up in the morning and do the same thing-- complaining that his knees hurt. Usually after a few hours, the pain leaves and he can move around just fine. Last Sunday, he woke up and did the same thing, however this time he didn't start walking after a few hours. He was basically crawling or limping all week. We went to the doc again. This time we had lots of blood tests-- to make sure it isn't arthritis or leukemia or any other bizarre thing. We had another round of x-rays and nothing showed up. The blood tests were normal-- thank goodness. One night I was freaked out because we thought it might be muscular dystrophy-- but thank goodness the doctor said that there was no way it was that-- he is too young and the symptoms present differently. He is sure the problem is musculoskeletal and that we are not looking at a rotten disease.
For those few moments of fear that I had, I sure gave myself a life-check of what was really important. I thought that if he really did have something awful, I was willing to give up anything so that we can help him. You know how crazy your mind gets in the middle of the night-- I was even thinking that we would have to move to make a more wheelchair friendly house!! I thought sad things like "He will never play sports like the other kids" or "I won't be able to bear watching other kids who are normal, just run and play!" Now that I am pretty sure he is going to be just fine, I felt I had a tiny peak of what a heavy burden some parents carry who really do have to deal with such issues. I am so grateful for my "regular" problems-- ones that don't seem so awful now. Life can throw us some crazy curve balls, and thinking about those things I just don't know how I could ever deal with something like that without Divine help. Thank goodness for the blessings we have and the help we are granted when times are rough.
7 comments:
Wow, Julie - what an odd set of symptoms. I would have freaked out, too! Google diagnoses are the worst! I'm glad to hear it's not going to be too serious, whatever it is. Bless his little heart. And happy birthday to your big girl! Time does fly, doesn't it?
I'm so sorry that this keeps happening :( Our physical bodies are pretty good at reminding us what is really important and where our true strength comes from. Hang in there!
Happy Birthday to SO, and I am glad that SHO is alright.
Poor little guy! I am happy that he is doing better.
Let me know what you find out. Sure love you
I'm glad that things seem to be okay with him. And I'm glad that SO had a great birthday! We love living close to you all. :)
I am late to the game. Happy day to SO. Love yer kids guts.
Post a Comment