I am NOT a patient person. Regrettably, I think I passed this mountain of impatience onto my children, two in particular. These last few months, LO just screams when something doesn't work out the way he wants it-- his shoe doesn't slide right on, there is butter on his pinkie finger, his sister doesn't give him what he wants. It is such a loud and piercing scream that I about lose my mind trying not to scream back at him to stop-- yeah, a lot of good that would do, huh? I found myself a few times this week just really really not liking my dear 3 year old (you can still love someone and not LIKE them, right?) I got so exasperated with him one afternoon, I dumped a glass of water on his head because he just wouldn't stop screaming! Yeah, I know, really mature of me.
Yesterday we went to Lagoon with my sis-in-law and her kids. It rained buckets in the afternoon, I was freezing, and I didn't get to ride on any "fun" rides, but I was happy. The reason I was so happy standing in the pouring rain was because I saw a three year old who may have been driving me crazy with his temper the last little while, but who was having a ball running around and going on rides. He was squealing with laughter on one of the rides-- and I thought back to a year ago to this day. I was holding that same tiny little two year old boy in an emergency room, and praying-- begging to be able to see him run around and get up and play soon. A little boy who hadn't made much of a sound or a scream for at least two days, who just lay there limp in my arms and slept, who eventually ended up spending nearly a month in a hospital bed with at least four tubes coming out of his little body at one point. So I told myself, rather-- I was prompted to remember, that I can be patient. I can put up with his fits, and he will outgrow them (just like I might outgrow mine:).


12 comments:
A raising kids. I thought I had gotten more patience but then I realized my kids had all just gown up and left home. So much for patience. and the boys look so much older in that last picture
Oh, such a good reminder! Thank you for that.
I always say, if I could have one super power, it would be super human patience. That's what I need, most of all!
I laughed and cried at this post. I think you can definitely love your child while not liking them at the moment. But the perspective is always nice to have in the meantime. I'm so glad LO pulled through his ordeal last year to become the screaming three year old he is today.
Hang in there Julie! You are an amazing mom!
On two different occasions this week, I told my three year old that I didn't want kids anymore because she wouldn't stop screaming at me. Hours and hours of screaming. I too am so glad for those moments when they are happy.
I think your little screamer is related to another little screamer I know in my house! LO has grown so much in the last year.
A agree with your mom, who just happens to also be my sister. Just when I think I have finally developed some patience, I realize I only think I do because I am not around small children. Let's all keep trying...maybe one day!
I like the dump the cup of water Idea. I think I will keep that one in the parenting tool kit.
Oh Julie, I am not a patient person either. I have such a hard time with one of my kids in particular, that I KNOW it is possible to love them, but not like them at the moment. Wish we lived closer!
That made me want to cry. I love LO and I am so sorry to the screams, even if it is good to have them.
Ah! Your kids are getting soooo tall and grown up! Sniff.
Great perspective on a sweet little screamer. They look so cute together.
I think I know how you feel. One of my children (who shall remain nameless) was such a difficult 3 year old. She grew up and now she's a really nice person. And she's also good at sharing her feelings, which my children who were quiet toddlers are not good at.
You are awesome.
Post a Comment