Sunday, July 19, 2009

Home Sweet Home


So-- I have to admit, I have been a little bit hesitant to post anything about being home. For the past four weeks, every time we expected to be home for good the carpet was yanked out from under us and we were back at Primarys. This time, I really am praying it is for good, and I have a better feeling about things this time around!

If you don't know what has happened, after our second visit to Primarys, we were home for about a week and LO got sick again. On the 4th of July he started all over with the very same symptoms-- throwing-up, no eating/drinking, lots of pain. We called and Primarys had us come right back. My wonderful parents met us at the hospital and took the girls. After a long Sunday afternoon checking in, then a long Monday full of more x-rays and anther CT scan, the found out that he had a bowel obstruction. They had to operate that Monday evening. The surgeon said that he found a mass of scar tissue tangled around his small intestine, and that his colon had just shrunk. They had to drain his intestines, take off the scar tissue, and sew him back up-- of course. He was one tired and sad little boy the next day. It was a really long week, but we came home-- again! We have been home a week now and things seem to be much better this time. He is eating so much more and hopefully putting back those 6 pounds he lost the last month.

Thanks so much for all of your prayers and love. It has been a crazy summer, and I have learned a lot. We are so grateful for family and friends and most of all for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I really do not know what we would have done without our faith through all this. The Spirit guided us and comforted so often-- it was the Spirit that saved his life. We never would have taken him in-- who knew a two year old could have a ruptured appendix in the first place??

If there is one thing that I am learning, looking back I know that Heavenly Father loves us so much-- and I see that so clearly when going through tough times. I really don't like the tough times, but I sure can see when the Lord has guided me and comforted me through them. I don't like to think about what could have happened, but sometimes I ask myself if I could have the same faith if the worst had happened. I sure hope I could-- and frankly, I saw people with so many more burdens than we had while we were at Primarys and they were handling them with faith.

There is one thing I know, the things I learn through these experiences are like precious pearls to me-- I wouldn't trade the knowledge I gained for anything. I realize that through some rough things I might have to go through, I won't recognize the value of it until quite possibly the afterlife-- but I do know that eventually, if I stay faithful, I will see the precious knowledge gained through it all. Honestly, I wish there were easier ways for me to learn sometimes, but when all is said and done, I am so grateful for the "pearls" in the end.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Although you're still concerned about all this, it was priceless seeing you all! Your kids are amazing people and I miss them already! Love you all!

Jessica said...

Sniff, sniff! Beautifully said dear cousin! Love you guys!

Jen said...

Wow - you really have been through the ringer. I'm so glad things are calming down. I loved your post, and can totally relate. We dealt with some health issues a few years ago and had a similar experience. And I also know that sometimes I just don't know why we have to go through certain things! I trust it will all be revealed some day in the future.

Well said, Herm.

Jangs said...

WE love you so much and we are glad LO is back home too. It is such a joy to see him laughing and playing with his sisters.

wendys said...

I am so glad that Luke is getting better.

Amy Lynn said...

You are truly so wise and insightful. I am actually printing out this blog to add to my binder of "inspirational things". I needed to read this and gain a little perspective. Thank you for sharing your experience and testimony. It was FANTASTIC to see you and your family on Saturday! So much fun...I adore you!

mo said...

I'm so glad the little buckeroo is on the mend finally. Hard times but you have all passed the test with flying colors. It was so fun to see him on his feet and having fun! Love you guys!

The Smith Family, Just Kiddin' Around said...

I'm sorry that you guys have been through all of this! Sarah Rigby told me a little about what you have been going through. Sierra came to Retreat for Girls and she told me then. We have been thinking about you since, I hope all stays well with your little guy!! We love you, we are here if you ever need us, I could be there in 20 minutes!!! Love Katie

the5firds said...

Oh, Julie! I am so sorry. It is so hard when your children are in the hospital or suffering in any way. I am glad to hear that he is doing better.

Alice said...

Wow, I had no idea what was happening to your sweet little boy. You have great faith and it really is nice to have the gospel in our lives pulling us through our muddy trials. Thanks for your inspiration!