Saturday, October 18, 2008

It Really is just Painfully Funny....

It has been so long since I watched SNL. Lately, it has been funny-- painfully funny. I just have to laugh or I will cry. This clip, however, is a couple of years old, but it made me think of everything going on lately in our country. We watched Nightline last night about a couple who was losing their home. They were in their twenties, had a child, and were losing their....sniff....$300,000 home that they "bought" on an interest only loan. The media went through the sad process--- they just couldn't make the payments after a year. The wife was still in grad school, her husband also (if I recall correctly) and they just couldn't do it. However, don't feel too badly-- they left not owing a dime, and I think they got to keep all of their plush furniture and accessories as they walked out the door. No sadness, just a little frustrated that they would have to....rent....*gasp* until they could afford a home. I know, I will get off my soapbox, but COME ON!!! If you are still in school, you and your husband DO NOT have a stable job, you buy a house on an interest only basis, then you purchase lots of nice furniture-- I do not feel sorry for you when the bank comes to collect--especially as you drive away in your nice decked out SUV. Thank you Uncle Sam for bailing out nimrods like these-- and the stupid mortgage companies that gave them a loan. Now that I am done venting, please return to whatever it was you were doing, or watch this funny clip from SNL.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Julie...I really loved the video...we have this idea that buying things in US is much easier because you have all the credit...while, in Brazil, people are used to save the all the money we can so then we can buy stuff we want to...maybe, that's the reason traveling around the world doesn't sound sooooo easy for me...that would be lots of money saved.

Jessica said...

I love this clip. Matt's brothers ward actually just showed this clip in a combined meeting when they were talking about financail stuff. I think it is so great, and the sad thing is, SO true.

wendys said...

That is great. now... where can i buy that book?

michaelstubbs said...

Did you see the news report that SNL did on the insurance company that threw a big party for their highest earners just a couple of weeks after the government bailed them out? Pretty funny...and then again, not.

Amy Lynn said...

Chris and I seriously watch the news with either our mouths hanging open or shaking our heads saying, "That is so dumb. People are so dumb." While we have and continue to have some serious "dumb" moments, I can't feel too sorry for people who are surprised at the outcomes of their "not so wise" financial decisions. At some point we all have to grow up and realize the money is responsibility and if something comes too easy then it isn't worth having.

OK..off the soap box. I laughed at the SNL clip! So funny...

Emma Jo said...

You are so funny, and very right...and my husband and I don't watch SNL anymore because we figure that maybe we are just to old and "out of the cool crowd" to know when you laugh.

Kelli said...

Thanks alot. I laughed so hard I made the mistake of bringing Barry in to show him, which got him started on his "bailout tirade." (again.) Now don't get me wrong, I too am up in arms about the whole bail-out thing, but not really how I wanted to spend and HOUR of my sunday night!

SP said...

oh, pure joy to watch.

Lyndon said...

I love that clip.

Juli said...

I love this clip. It makes me mad that we have to pay for other people's STUPIDITY. Yes I am judgemental, but we also only had one car for many years.