Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summer Rain and Mutant Sunflowers


Have you ever seen a mutant sunflower? We went to check out our flowers today and found these two (or seven, or whatever number) sunflowers. This one has 5 centers. The next one has three.






Pretty strange, huh? Maybe its the sporadic watering they received this summer.







It rained this morning-- ahhh summer rain. I love going outside right after it rains. Everything looked so green-- even our pathetic straggly corn. The kids headed straight for the garden peas, and LO was hiding in the tall weeds-- I can't wait until he is old enough to pull them and they aren't taller than him. Overall- the garden is doing all right. Each year it gets better and we learn something new. Kind of like raising children.

LO still isn't walking full time. He likes to pick up things with his toes and hands while he walks.






This kid loves the cows. I think it must be in his blood. Every morning he can't wait until Dad takes him out to check on the cows. This is Ruby in the background.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

I love that you own cows. Do you milk them? Or are they boy cows. do I sound like a total city kid? LO is so cute. I haven't seen him in a while. What a cutie. love the garden. Next year we will get our garden going again. this year has just been a bust!

Unknown said...

Great to hear from you!!!!
It seems that we just update our blogs once a month (or even less than that!)!
This weekend I'm going to my uncle's farm for his and his grandchild birthday...that's going to be a huge party...I promisse to send pictures as soon as I get them!!!!
Love you all!
Cris

Abby said...

I am as envious as can be--I miss UT weather. I want to work the land and be a little more at one with nature, rather than cower from it. My poor children will not be outdoorsy living here, and that kills me! Eat some yummy fresh produce for me--it's the best.

Abby said...

It is awesome to see your little ranch coming together. You are amazing!!!
p.s. I loved hearing the story about how LO started walking when he looked at Claire and just stood up. Is it true?

Julie said...

Yep, 'tis true. He saw his cousins walking around and realized he better start to practice.

Amy Lynn said...

I love that you have mutant sunflowers and corn and a huge garden and cows and cats and other wonderful things. I'm jealous of the lifestyle...although with my serious lack of knowledge regarding anything outside, I'd kill everything in a week. I just have to keep concentrating on keeping the kids alive. I've never managed to keep anything I've owned alive this long. I'll just cling to that! :>)

mo said...

Weird sunflowers--do you live by a nuclear plant by any chance? Otherwise it looks like a pastoral paradise!

SP said...

those are beautiful pictures!

Cassie said...

You NAMED your Cow?!?!?! I hope it's one you never intend to eat! A short story: When I was nine we moved to our first house in Manila. It was on three acres, with corrals and an apple orchard. Dad bought 2 calves and we had to feed them by mixing up the foulest smelling stuff in a bucket, getting the calf to suck our fingers and guiding its nose into the bucket to drink. So I became rather close to those silly calves. We named them...Spot and Brownie....I know...not to original. I had to take them out to the apple orchard every day to graze then bring them into the corral at night. Spot was so tame that he would come when I called him. He was my pet! Then the day came that Dad said the then big cows had to go...to the auction, he said. I bawled and bawled. Then we started having steaks for dinner...hmmm... I asked if we were eating Spot..sob, sob. Dad swore that we weren't and I had to believe him (or go hungry). Anyway, he never let us name any livestock again. The End

Alice said...

Julie,
I have really lost track of you...you live on a ranch? Matt and I are jealous. He was a farm boy at heart growing up in the city and I was a city girl at heart being raised in the country. Now I realize how lucky I was growing up and we want that for our kids. I didn't ever imagine you loving that life, but now that I see it, I can believe it. We really have to catch up...I miss you. Where are you living?