Sunday, April 06, 2008

Beeeee-ew-tee-full

Our new hobby...


We have started to keep bees. This is a new thing for us, and fortunately we have some friends who have already been doing this-- so we are hooking on with them and starting to keep our own bees. Yesterday, Rich set up the frames so the bees could start making their comb.
We have to make "bee food" for the bees. It is just sugar and water for now.
The girls used the bee boxes for a table until the bees came.
Playing out in that snappy spring cold can really wipe a kid out.
Yesterday, our friend picked up the bees and he and Rich put them in the boxes with the queen. Today, we went over to check on them and remove the top box, which was empty. Here Rich and his friend are making sure the queen made it into the bottom box where the comb will be made. We ordered Carniolan bees. Our friends have the same type and also some Italian bees.

14 comments:

Jen said...

Bees!?!?

You never cease to amaze me. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Anonymous said...

I don't know... a family of apiarists? Grandpa and Grandma Stubbs kept bees for many years and may have some advice. I think they may still have his bee-hat (a pith helmet with a net) and his smoker (burns wood or bark to make smoke to numb the bees).
I don't think they have any more bee fud, though.

Anonymous said...

(By "his" helmet and smoker, I meant Grandpa Loveless's.)

Jangs said...

This is so cool. Can't wait to see how things progress. Love the shot of SO a sleep on the floor.

Jessica said...

Italian bees huh...Does their honey taste like olive oil and saffron?
That looks way cool! I think I would love doing that...can I do that here, or do you have to be out in the country?

wendys said...

wow! BEES! That sounds exciting.

SP said...

Sweet!

Jared Stubbs said...

Do we get to sample the honey combs? I love fresh honey. Jess, you post cracked me up.

Cassie said...

We always had a beehive in the backyard--field---forty--whatever in Manila! The only time I got stung by a bee was when I went running right in front of the hive screaming because I had just seen what I thought was a rattlesnake wrapped around one of the grapevines planted along the ditch. Bees don't like screaming people!

michaelstubbs said...

Cool. I want honey for Christmas...hey, now that you are in the bee-ness, you can sincerely tell people off with "none of your bee's wax." I believe that it was you who first taught me the phrase.

Unknown said...

Hope no one in the house is allergic to bees!!!!

ermakaluso said...

What a fun (?) and different hobby! I can't wait to hear more!

ermakaluso said...

I changed the link on my blog to the hair website so it was more obvious. Before it said "this blog" and I changed the name to the blog, www.shedoeshair.blogspot.com

And did you see that I tagged you :)

mo said...

Yummm, can I put in my order for some honey? I can't wait to hear how it goes!