Sunday, January 27, 2008

I SPY or LL's Treasures?


I was checking LL's backpack the other day. It was so heavy and I wondered how much stuff a kindergartener really could have. Every main pocket and secret zipper pocket, not to mention the mesh pockets on the sides were chuck full of "treasures". I asked her what the purpose was for all this junk. "It's not junk! Those are my collection!" Ohhhhhh! Of course! Then, the next day we did a serious cleaning (or purging) of their bedroom. About halfway through my sorting and their "helping" I realized that SO was actually wearing half of the things she was supposed to be picking up-- a pink tutu, pink shirt, pink shorts, two crowns, three necklaces, two bracelets, a few scarves and princess underwear. LL was just rescuing the things that would be thrown away-- tags, stickers with Star Wars, toothpicks, rocks, etc. Not to mention it was a hazardous dump area underneath LL's bed. I asked her why there were so many little junky things under her bed and she told me "Because I sleep with them!" I then forbade Rich from giving LL any more "cool treasures" and told the girls that a lot of the things were going to be put in a "scrap book" *wink wink*. They don't know that the scrapbook is located in the large brown garbage can outside.

I told Rich I completely blame the hoarding of junk on his side of the family. It is not from mine-- I get a sort of sadistic thrill throwing stuff away and living with as little as I possibly can. This is exemplified by our closets. Rich has shoes from High School still taking up space and I have loads of empty rack space. I have to physically wedge his shirts into their hanging spots and I think that I hear those flannel beasts actually groan---"Ug! Move over buddy-- there isn't enough room for another one of you!"

10 comments:

Jen said...

Oh Julie, we need to be more like you. And less like LL. I'm afraid we have too many "treasures" tucked away in our house. Would you please come help me put it all in a giant scrapbook?!?

wendys said...

I get in trouble with Ian on a daily basis for throwing things away. He goes to throw something away and I hear... "Hey... that's not garbage! Did you throw this away?" And he'll have found a piece of junk mail that he had adopted as his own and I hadn't realized it's importance. Kids are funny.

ermakaluso said...

Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard. My kids are EXACTLY the same way! We need to get our girls together. Kaylee has special collections all over the house. She has BAGS of things that I open up and find items that have been missing for weeks. Whenever she finds part of her special collection int he garbage, I just tell her that "Daddy must have done it." Is that bad?

Anonymous said...

This brings back many memories for me. Including the large rock or boulder under Mike's bed that I refused to move to Utah and He remembered exactly where he had gotten it and it was when he was LL's age. Rich use to bring home hundreds of pages that Jordan had colored for him at school. Missy was much like LL. And I got to where I hated happy meal toys which somehow seemed to multiple in the closet on their own cause we honestly didn't go to McDonalds all that often. Pogimon, starwars, GI joes, barbie "things" legos, legos and more legos! Ah yes the memories! And this is MOM not dad. I don't think he picked things up. I am still picking up after him

Abby said...

That is quite the collection! It takes a special person to be able to collect so much stuff and call it a treasure. Good job LL.

Abby said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica said...

That is so funny. Seth is that way too... I climbed up in his bunk bed the other day, and was astounded at what I found. How was he even sleeping with all that junk around?? Kids are so funny.

SP said...

I love that one of LL treasures is a pink monkey I gave her from Hong Kong.

I on the other hand am just like LL, like mom said...I guess that's why I have 5 or so big blue rubbermade boxes in storage chuck full of things I can't part with. I even have a pair of blue velvit doc martins that I had in high school that I can't give up.

Lyndon's mom told me a good idea once for all the "treasures" her kids would collect and or give to her. She would keep it for a little while and when she would grow tired of it, she would take a piture of it and put it in a real scrapbook and then throw the real article out.

Jessica said...

I also like the red poison control center number ...hmmm...

Lyndon said...

So did she explain why she has two toilet paper rolls??