Friday, January 11, 2008

I Finally Read it....

I know. I am slow, but my friend practically begged me to read "Twilight" and so I did. I have to be totally honest, and I know I am going to offend people when I say this.....Kudos to a lady who can write down her high school day dreams and make lots of bucks. I really didn't get into the book until about almost 400 pages in. I think it was around the baseball game-- you know that chapter when it finally picks up the pace and Bella and Edward aren't trying, or not trying, to mack on each other. I just couldn't really find playful wordy banter and sexual restraint (not that I WANTED to read anything more sultry, believe me...) very interesting-- especially with teenagers. I know that it is all imaginary, yes. I just wasn't convinced that this was something that was exciting. I just had to laugh out loud when Edward, with his winning "crooked smile", be still my heart-- plays the PIANO like a genius!!! That just capped off the whole idea that he was just soooooo dreamy and sooo perfect. Lots of girls love the man who can be so modest about his talents and then "WHAMO!" he has this incredible artistic side that so beautifully illustrates his sensitivity. (Never really found those kinds of guys attractive-- sorry, I have known too many music majors...) Of course he was appealing to a teenage girl, he was a 17 year old boy who acted MATURE. Edward completes the package by being the ever popular "Bad boy trying to be good". The author completes her perfect teenage novel with Bella--- the girl who completely underestimates how beautiful and tempting she really is. I am not saying the author has no talent-- I wish I could write something and be successful. I am just saying, some people know how to pick the right ingredients to market-- and what audience to market to. Some people have the talent to take the ever-loved chocolate, put it into different molds-- add some nuts, and market it in a new way-- of course most people like to indulge on chocolate. Me, I just just prefer a bowl of Cheerios. I guess I am a little boring.

11 comments:

michaelstubbs said...

Well all books have to be written to An audience and not ALL audiences....right? This one just ain't your cup o' tea. I am not sure that I will read it, but I knew that before I read your blog (not that I don't appreciate your comments).

Julie said...

That is true-- and goes along with my point. It just really wasn't for me. I totally respect that other people may really like it.

ermakaluso said...

So I take it you aren't going to read the other two? I do like your point of view on things. I can only imagine what other talents Edward has hidden up his sleeve!

SP said...

Oh Edward...how I love thee, let me count the ways....he,he, just kidding. I am awaiting the 4th book...and movie. I'm a sucker, what can I say.

Jessica said...

Megan just read it too...she posted it on her blog. I agree with you and with her, but I must say, I did find myself enjoying the read...I knew it was silly, unrealistic, but sometimes I like to be unrealistic. It helps me forget the realistic part of of some days with puke down my underwear, and 10 diaper changes before 10am. But some days, I would rather just be in my realisic little world. Is that called being moody?

Megan said...

That's so funny that we blogged about this at the same time! Sounds like we pretty much agree. I did enjoy it enough to be curious about what happens though. I can't decide if I'll read the next two or not. Maybe I'll just find a synopsis somewhere.

wendys said...

It sounds like you are all feeling a little guilty about kind of liking the book......? I'm with Jessica, I like the temporary escape from screaming children.

To be honest, I would have never guessed you would read the book, Julie! good for you.

Julie said...

Hmmm. Maybe-- but really I was eventually going to read it-- I just had such incredibly high expectations from what everyone was saying that I was kind of disappointed.

Jen said...

I don't know anything about this book. I must be sooooo out of it.

Lyndon said...

Bravo!

Jared Stubbs said...

I read all three books... I couldn't stand the 17 year old romance, plus isn't Edward more like 100? Doesn't that make his conduct toward Bella criminal?