Monday, July 16, 2007

Tomasina Sawyer



I have told LL and S that they have one more chance to weed their flower/squash bed and the raspberries to earn 50 cents. If they did not finish it today, they would have to do it tomorrow-- with NO pay. They quickly ran outside and began weeding the garden. I stayed indoors with LO and started the laundry.

I peeked out the laundry room window to see how they were progressing, and this is what I saw:


The picture does not adequately show how LL was sitting there giving orders, and the neighbor kids were all pulling the weeds. SO came running in and said, "Mom, LL is getting all her friends to pull the weeds."

I quickly went outside and said, "LL, are you helping to pull the weeds yourself?"

"Yeah Mom! Hey! Don't forget to pay them, too!"

"Excuse me? LL,would you please come here?"

"Yep..."

"LL, if you are contracting out the work, their pay comes from YOUR 50 cents. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

"And...I want you working just as hard..."

"Okay..."

Five minutes later, I looked out and she was once again just supervising and watching from the side. They soon had the little garden weeded, and left on their bikes. Of course, I went out and asked if the raspberries had been weeded also--- and LL promptly yelled at the oldest boy (age 9) "Hey! You guys forgot to weed the raspberries!" I put a stop to that, and told my girls it was THEIR job.

Soon after I went inside again, I heard the house water being turned on outside. I went out, and noticed LL had placed the sprinkler on their garden, and this is how she looked...


Life is great when you are a kid. Instead of getting mad because she hadn't weeded very much in the raspberries, I grabbed my camera. (Is that reinforcing bad behavior?) Anyway, I explained to her later that I was impressed that she was so great at getting the kids together to work, but that when she and SO do a job-- I expect THEM to do it first, and then ask about hiring recruits. I guess, we all learn...They did a nice job-- it was really chuck full of weeds... I wonder if she could help me hire out cheap house labor?

8 comments:

Jessica said...

I love that last picture. I guess she worked up a real thirst ordering around the hired help. She is so darn cute! That is so funny! I love that a nine year old boy was listening to her, and doing work for her. Good luck!

Jangs said...

Watch out world LL is on the loose. Do you think she could come down and help run Girls Camp next week. It would be very nice to have someone who commands such authority!

Abby said...

That girl never stops making me laugh. She is quite the business woman already.

SP said...

What a smarty, really. She just kills me and I love her to death....does that sound morbid?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You guys could recruit me for the house labor...I just need a little food and a place to rest...what do u think???

Julie said...

You are hired! (We really won't make you work though, Cris.)

Amy Lynn said...

This was hilarious! I love your sassy, independent, wonderful girls. Way to get the job done! I wonder if I could cough up a few hired hands around my neighborhood?!