Thursday, March 08, 2007

All Creatures Great and Small...


We had some trauma about a week ago. Our cats have been meandering further out from their home. One morning after a night on the town, Scout looked extremely ill. He was drooling, (ick) and wouldn't eat or drink. For about two days, he looked (and smelled) awful. Rich decided to take him into work to see if they could figure out anything. He suspected maybe his jaw was broken because he could hardly move his mouth. They x-rayed him and found no broken jaw. They looked in his mouth and found lesions all over his tongue (yuck again, I know...) The diagnosis was anti-freeze poisoning, and the prognosis was not so great. After three days, anti-freeze goes through an animals system and it is pretty bleak. L.L. had said her goodbyes to her little pet before we sent him off with Rich, and she was very heartbroken. The night before he was x-rayed, she cried and cried, saying that she had "no hope" and that she didn't even feel like praying. I told her I still hoped he would be all right, and that Heavenly Father even cares about cats.

Well, Dad and cousin Ray to the rescue. They gave Scout anti-biotics, and an IV-- yes they filled him with fluid from an IV. The poor cat was very, very ill. Rich left him at work, and the next day returned to find a very much alert and significantly better Scout. They continued to nurse this lucky kitty and lo and behold, he has made a full recovery. Ray went so far as to call in a prescription for medicine to jump-start one's kidneys if necessary. Long story short, Scout is home and well and Ray has been elevated to hero status in the eyes of a 5 year old girl. He even made a few phone calls over the weekend to make sure his feline patient was doing well. L.L. said, "You knew he would get better, Mom! I didn't have faith!!" (Living prove that faith is TRULY hope in that which is not seen....I really was hoping I wasn't wrong THIS time!!!) Thanks to the Grandparents who also had some prayers to add!! I never thought I would pray for a cat, of all animals... I think that Scout certainly used up at least 5 of his 9 lives. Long live the Scout, as long as possible now-- after all that work!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

That is such a precious story! Those are the experiences one hopes for kids to have. (well, I mean the faith promoting part..not the anti-freeze poisoning part) And Julie, YOU have a cat??? I never would have guessed.

Jangs said...

Hey Scout looks pretty darn good. He sure is getting big.

michaelstubbs said...

Glad to hear that the cat survived. Sounds like a tough lesson to learn on faith at such a young age. Sounds like there are great benefits to working in/with an animal laboratory too.

Jared Stubbs said...

Our neigbor's cat has cancer. Don't pray for it Julie, it digs up our flowers and poops in our yard. I am glad that Scout is ok though.

SP said...

I love this story. I love L.L. too. I don't love cats, but I'm glad Scout is alive and well. Long live Scout.

Unknown said...

I guess it time for you to update your blog, huh??? :o)
Luv ya!!