Monday, September 04, 2006

Fun Times on the Ranch




We just got back from visiting Grandparents Olsen on the ranch in Wyoming. We checked out the new horse, Star. He was really nice-- very slow. Laura Lee was in heaven-- helping with the chores, riding horses, catching fish, catching frogs, chasing the cats, etc. Sammy was having a ball, too-- she was just in her own little world. She loved hanging out with the poor old dog, Boots, and singing songs while riding Star. She didn't quite like the getting dirty part as much as Laura Lee, but they both had fun. Rich said that when he did chores as a child, it was never that fun to him. They loved scooping up the grain in the grain shed and filling the buckets to give to the cattle. They don't flinch when they come close to those bulls, which I am not sure is good! Anyway, it was fun. I am always a little sad too because I think that this is a lifestyle that is quickly fading. The country was beautiful and the leaves are starting to turn up there. I think we caught one of the last warm weekends there in Star Valley-- there had already been a couple of frosts. It is a beautiful country-- even if it is way too cold in the winter!! But then again, not everyone thinks Cache Valley is the best place in the winter either!!

5 comments:

michaelstubbs said...

Sounds like a nice trip. You should read William Kitredge's books. He agrees with you, ranching and farming, working the land, is a lifestyle that is passing in this country, at least in a sense. Too bad, too. The horses, the cows, the dogs, the kittens: hard work, but good work.

Jared Stubbs said...

It is too bad. I love how different your girls are and how much the love life.

Jangs said...

You pictures are so cute. What a neat childhood. What kid wouldn't want a ranch to hang out at? A horse to ride? A good old dog and lots of cats? They are very fortunate.

Unknown said...

I'm glad my uncle has a farm which we can still go and have some fun...last months we went there to get together with some relatives...it was quite nice coz then I could remeber a bit of my childhood! Too bad farming and ranching are not that common around here anymore!

SP said...

Sammy looks like such a big kid. ABout the farm thingy...I'm glad G-parents Stubbs had some land, kittens, cows, and lots of dirt. Life is great outdoors. May I live in a small town to raise my kids....