Wednesday, April 29, 2020
Venting--- and Quarantine
These are some pictures from our front porch "Quarantine" time. We need a family picture again-- the kids are changing too fast.
I have had it. I am officially done with the quarantine. I honestly think at this point, people are now being governed by fear. When I think about the Spanish Flu, and every other thing that has happened previously in the world, including World War I and II-- I think that we are a nation of wussies. My kids are not starving to death and I am not sending my sons off to war after they graduate from high school. Someone commented to me that this flu is not a "simple flu". I had to laugh because I almost lost Spencer 11 years ago to a "simple flu", and I wanted to die as well I felt so awful. Then I was sent a list of caregivers who have died because of it-- the majority of them in countries with medical systems FAR less capable than ours. I think we have created the situation and are making it much worse. Where is the data from the years past of caregivers who have died taking care of people with the flu in their countries? No one has it, because it has never been this publicized. Also, for the record I don't listen to inflammatory commentators who sway my opinion this way. I have stayed away from most of the news. I also sure as hell don't watch CNN or MSNBC. They contradict themselves to often, it's painful. My family (siblings and parents) I am SURE watch those channels regularly because they sound like them.
Kudos to the Governor of South Dakota for letting her citizens go back to normal. Governor Herbert is a wuss. So businesses can open-- but churches can't? I can go to a "bustling with business" Lowe's, grab an unsanitized cart, walk around a dozen people, but I am not trusted to head to church and be careful not to shake hands or hug. So, I cannot be trusted to make my own decisions about how to live responsibly? People criticize Americans because we are not used to these kinds of restrictions and regulations. Well, we aren't-- that is true, and thank the Lord we aren't because then we would be more like China. We would be fine with a dictator telling us what we need to believe and how to do things. Good for you American citizens for being wary of all this. I actually think that those who wear a mask in public now do so because they are afraid to show that they are not being "socially responsible". My feeling is that wearing a mask is a good idea-- IF YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS SICK. I do not get how the person at the store wearing gloves can touch a dozen credit cards and lots of money, adjust their masks on their faces, then hand me back my credit card, and somehow that is safer than not wearing a mask or gloves at all. Really?
Now, Governor Herbert thinks it would be wise to wear a mask wherever we go. I know that this is for the "common good", but let's think of some other things that we can do for the common good.
How about this: Let's suspend all people from driving who are under the age of 20, and those who are over the age of 80. Those two groups are very dangerous to the public on the roads. Also, if someone has ANY record of drinking and driving at all, let's take away their right to drive for the rest of their life-- because we all know that the chances of being a repeat offender are very high. I think that fewer people have died overall during the quarantine because they aren't driving around on the roads.
Let's keep this going-- how about people who do not exercise be required to exercise at least one half hour a day. This is certainly for the common good. A society that is healthy will benefit all. Those who do not exercise can be reported to authorities by their neighbors. Governor Cuomo would love that part. Not only that-- completely ban cigarettes, e-cigs, and cigars. Come on!! We haven't banned those yet?? We can't be trusted to be responsible when there is a virus going around, so why should we trust people to not blow smoke in our faces or at home in their children's faces? Once again-- implement neighbor reporting. It works well in China when a person's neighbors do not take out their trash. Just tell the authorities. True story.
Has anyone noticed how much cleaner the earth is now that there is a quarantine? Let's consider making it mandatory that people ride bikes or walk everywhere they have to go. After all, climate change awareness is for the common good of the whole world! Climate change mandatory restrictions every quarter would be a good idea-- no gatherings, no church, everyone plant a tree, businesses shut down, everyone take a break and not go anywhere for at least two months. Can you imagine the impact on the world?
Has anyone realized that there really are fewer deaths overall from the quarantine? Fewer abortions, fewer car accidents, fewer school shootings.... the positive impact this has had is astounding. Oh wait-- the WHO estimates that over 100 million people will starve to death because of the quarantine? Well-- at least they are not dying of COVID-19, that would just be socially irresponsible of us.
But seriously, how much longer can we be such wimps? News flash...people die EVERY day. Yes, it is true. The bigger problem right now is this-- we have become a society that cannot accept that there are just some things that we cannot control. We are so used to mankind being able to solve problems now; we are too smart for our own good. Yes, it is good that we know about virology and medicine and how to control certain types of illnesses, but how far can this possibly go? When do we as a society stop putting ourselves in prisons because we just can't handle the possibility of something "going wrong".
I have a friend whose daughter was born with some serious disabilities. Her daughter cannot walk or talk very well. She also has a very weak immune system. Whatever minor illness the family gets can be life threatening to her. My friend does not live her life in a bubble. True, they don't go very many places simply because their daughter has to have a wheelchair and lots of physical help. However, she is extremely susceptible to ANY kind of minor illnesses, even minor colds, and those germs can make her sick enough to die. My friend lives her life. She does not live in fear. She knows that living life is a risk in itself.
I just feel that our modern society thinks we know better than God. Ironically, we have put ourselves in this "bondage". We are controlled by fear of the unknown. We cannot accept that we just can't figure this out right away. We think that we have so much more control than we actually do. We aren't used to being attacked by a microscopic organism that has so much power over our lives. Those are only things read about in history, and we think we have moved so far beyond our ancestors. I believe in modern medicine, and I believe God has inspired our advances in medicine. I also believe that at some point, we need to move forward with a measure of faith. I honestly don't believe a cure or a real solution will come until we truly let go and let God take over by getting back to life. Get on with things, America.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment