Sunday, February 18, 2018

Some Weeks are Just Dumb

This past week has been one of those dumb weeks.  I think I hit the wall and my stress, lack of sleep, and all my failings caught up with me! My left shoulder started to hurt around the beginning of the week, and then by Thursday night, I was in severe pain.  I can tell when it is coming on because the knot gets tighter and tighter each day.  It is usually worse in the morning, and by the afternoon it is feeling little better.  Thursday night it was not feeling better, and I couldn't even lie down to make the pain go away.  I wished I had the spinal headache again-- at least lying down made the pain leave!  Rich tried to get me to go to the doctor or ER or something to get strong enough pain killer, but I really did not want to do that. I was hoping it would go away. 

Friday morning, Rich called the chiropractor and took me in.  He took x-rays of my neck and asked if I had recently been in a car wreck.  Um, no.  He showed me the x-rays that my neck is curving the opposite way that it is supposed to.  I have always had neck problems-- I can't put my chin down very far, and I have never been able to turn it right or left very far either.  I have had periodically, for as long as I can remember, a pinched nerve in my shoulder/neck area that gets worse with stress.  I just figured it was stress related and that I was just stiff-necked (haha!).  He also showed me how my spine in my neck is slightly curved to the right and that my head isn't on straight! Well, tell me something I don't know!  

I am guessing that if everyone had x-rays done we'd find all sorts of wonky things wrong with our bodies.  Life does that to you.  Stress just brings out the deficiencies when you are low.  Long story short, he ordered me on bed rest with ice 3 times a day, then to come back Monday (of course) and get readjusted.  Rich is pretty much done with the chiropractor visits so I guess it's now my turn (eye roll, sigh, and growl).  

That isn't even the cherry on the cake of the week.  I was "resting" watching a movie with the kids just after getting home from the chiropractor.   I woke up when it was finished, and the kids were fighting.  I told them the TV was going off, and Spencer took the heel of his palm, and from behind me whacked his palm down into my left eye.  I literally felt my eye shove back into my skull, I saw a flash of light, and then water started just pouring out-- which I thought was blood (thank goodness it wasn't).  I was terrified.  I couldn't see out of my eye-- it was completely cloudy.  Rich came running down from his office.  Spencer was in deep trouble.  Of course all hell broke loose and kids were crying, Spencer was threatening suicide because he is such a "bad son", and I am in tears because I think my eye is seriously damaged, not mention I am wondering if Tae Kwon Do is such a good thing for Spencer to learn. 

We weren't sure what to do-- because honestly, I was not wanting another doctor visit and I did not want to pay for the ER.  I called Missy, who got a hold of Lyndon, and I asked him if I would be okay to just stay home and put ice on it.  He said because there was a flash of light I should see my doc ASAP. (Missy had explained to me that usually a flash of light is a detached retina, and that I should get a hold of Lyndon).  We called and got an appointment.  My eye doc checked it out.  He said I had a micro hyphema and that it would be okay-- meaning my eye was bleeding inside, and that is why it was cloudy.  He put me on steroid eye drops, and told me that 50 years ago I would have had to stay in the hospital for 5 days to make sure it didn't get worse.  (I would have opted for the 5 days in the hospital at this point-- maybe I could actually get some rest?) He felt it would be okay, however, and I was sent home. *sigh* The cloudiness had reduced significantly by the time I was done with the doc (of course) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was because my children were praying I wouldn't go blind in my left eye.  

For Webelos scouts this week,  we went to Bob Bartlett's workshop in town to make stepping stools.  Bob is a construction guy in town, and he is awesome to help with the scouts.  He had all the parts cut out, and the boys just had to use the router, do some drilling and sanding, and they put together really great stools.  I let Spencer tag along because I knew that he would love it (and no one else was home to watch him) and he had a blast.  Here are some pics:



I didn't take many I just realized, because I was too busy trying to help the boys.  A few extra "dads" came to help out, because not all the boys' dads could be there.  They are all such cute little guys.  We now have two very cool stepping stools in our house.  

Here are some random things we have done.  Sammy tried on my wedding dress.  LL tried it on, but we couldn't zip it up-- she is much more broad shouldered than I was.  Sammy just didn't have the "top" to fill it out!! haha!
 Shhhhhhh!! Sammy tried on LL's prom dress when she wasn't around, and this is what it looks like.  LL admitted she likes it because it reminds her of Tinkerbell.  She likes Tink.  But don't tell anyone-- that is just such a girly thing about her she wouldn't want it to be on the internet or something awful like that. 



And this is a sneaky picture I took of Luke and Landon while I was subbing at their class last week.  I don't know what Luke would do without his buddy Landon in his class.  It has been a rough transition to another school.  They sat and read the same book for an hour together-- laughing and sharing ideas.  Good friends. 
Well, that about wraps it up.  I am ditching church right now and am home with Luke who is sick.  

Onward and upward-- or just forward, at this point I don't care what direction we go. 

1 comment:

Nae said...

Jeez sis, when it rains it pours. I sure love you and hope you start to feel better soon. Get your head screwed on straight again.

This is rich btw.