Saturday, December 23, 2017

December is Coming to and End

I am writing this after just finishing 5 classes with my Chinese students.  The past two weeks I was fully booked, so I had about 5 classes every morning.  It has been a great job so far.  In spite of having to get up at 3:30 am, it is really fun.  I have a few regular students that return to me, but most often they are new.  My hope is that I can keep fully booked every week and get some regulars.  They are so adorable, funny, crazy, and smart-- just like American kids.  Get a load of this little girl's gorgeous hair! She was only 6 and spoke really well. 



It has been busy around here, as usual.  LL is doing well in basketball, however she doesn't think so.  She is driving to school every day now and it is so nice to have one less person to pick up from an activity.  However, it is a little nerve wracking to have her drive in the winter.  Her friend drove off the road nearly missing the river last Saturday because it was so slick.  When the roads are bad, LL takes the Smithfield route instead of Benson. 
 I can't get her face half the time because she is rushing down the court. They have had a pretty good season so far.  I think they have only lost one game out of 5. 






Spencer did awesome in his green belt test last Saturday.  He was so focused and determined.  Mr. Cannell was pretty proud of him, I think.  Spencer and all the other boys were relived that Master Goonan couldn't make it because of the snow storm-- you could see the relief on their faces! He is pretty tough on them.  Mr. Cannell did the testing instead.  He is serious, but has a little more of a gentle side.  
 Take a look at Luke in the back of all these pictures.  He is very serious and hardly moves.  I think he was just as nervous for Spencer. 

 Spencer had the chance to try and break a board.  He really has never practiced this, so we were a little surprised he wanted to.  He didn't quite make it break-- just cracked it.  They aren't required to break a board until the upper levels like brown and black. 

 Receiving his belt from Mr. Cannell. 

All the students who tested.  (The three boys in the back are all black belts with Mr. Cannell and they just come to help).

After the test, they had a rip-roaring Christmas party! The boys love Tae Kwon Do.  They have met some really great kids there and made good friends. 

One of their new friends is from India and he is adorable, Raeed.  His parents are so friendly.  I talk with his mother, Nadia, whenever we meet for tests.  His father talks with Rich when they are there at the same time.  They both would like to move to Dubai when he is done with grad school.  They have lived all over the world.  He was surprised when I said that you guys were mission presidents in San Diego of your own free will and expense.  They are familiar with the Mormons because the missionaries haunt Aggie Village quite frequently, and I am sure because this family is so friendly the missionaries know them!  

The boys also have made friends with a little boy named Alonso.  His father is a pastor of a Mexican church (Baptist, I think) in Logan.  Super sweet kid.  I have actually taught him several times when I substituted.  My friend won't let her son go to TKD anymore because in her words "they are so weird!"  (insert eye roll here).  Their loss.  It has really been one of the best things for Spencer and Luke.  They both love the challenge and that it is something "different" from what other kids do.  

Sammy had a great performance two Saturdays ago (sheesh I am behind!)  She was battling a cold, but did so well.  Her teachers are the best.  We just love them.  Their home burned down, and they got a new baby to adopt all while they were teaching classes these last few months.  In spite of those changes, they were so upbeat and sweet with all their students.  Sammy has loved working with them.  
 They were able to sing in the Ellen Eccles Theater-- which was thrilling for Sammy.  She also made many adorable friends. 



 A very funny Christmas Rap they borrowed from the "Juanito Bandito Christmas Show".





Not much else is going on.  We will be gearing up for the Christmas Adam today!

1 comment:

Jangs said...

I am so behind in reading and writing. Back on board. Love the pictures. miss you all and wish i could see things in person. Notice that LL has on the nike headband. Everyone is growing up. Sure love seeing the baptism online. I am glad we got to see it. Will get back in the routine of reading and writing So don't stop posting when you can