Sunday, July 30, 2017

July 24-29

This week started off with me driving for the courier route.  They were in need of a driver for Tuesday on the Bear Lake route, so I reluctantly volunteered.  I really hate driving anywhere long distance, but I knew Rich really needed someone.  I drove on Monday with his sister, Natalie, to learn the route.  Then on Tuesday I drove it alone.  It starts at the hospital in Logan, then it goes through the canyon, stops in Garden City, heads North to Montpelier and stops there, then turns around and goes through Mink Creek Canyon.  

After that you end up in Preston and you stop there to pick up lab work, then oddly it stops at a large house in Lewiston.  It's an old house owned by a doctor and it's covered in trees.  It's so well hidden that when Rich pointed it out to me one time when we were in the area for a soccer game, I was shocked there was a house there.  You drive through a little iron gate and park in a parking lot just outside the house.  It has two wrap around balconies-- the house sits on the edge of a small gorge.  You walk up under the first balcony and there is a door marked "Dr. Hintz, Internal Medicine, Lung Diseases".  If he has lab work, he sticks it on the iron wagon wheel outside the door in a white box.  It is kind of quiet and creepy when you walk up there.  Rich said that he has gone inside before to drop things off, and there were a bunch of tiny old people sitting in the waiting room which was hotter than hell.  The doctor is just a really old guy still practicing medicine.  I didn't see him when I went.  I imagine a tiny old man with glasses checking people out with an enormous old stethoscope.  Maybe all the old farmers in Lewiston don't trust anyone else, so they go to good ole Dr. Hintz.  

Anyway, then the route heads back to the hospital in Logan, you drop off all the lab work that needs to be tested, and it's done.  It really wasn't too bad.  It took me about 3 hours when I drove it alone.  When I drove it with Rich's sister it took about 4 because she liked to say hello to all the lab workers, then use every bathroom at each stop.  

Wednesday, the girls headed off to YW camp.  They were just 20 minutes away near Mendon up the mountain a little way.  Overall it was a success.  I thought I was out of having to go, but apparently the Bishop had to make an appearance and speak before testimony meeting, so I had to tag along.  Poor Sammy didn't have a great time.  There were a couple of girls who were really mean to her- dumped her bag out in a corner in their tent and kicked sleeping bag around.  That wasn't so bad, it was that they both lied about it to her and each said the other girl had done it.  She has had troubles with those girls before-- they each come to her and talk bad about the other.  She was so sick of it, she tried to hang out with the Mia Maids instead.  
It rained quite a bit the second morning, and here is how LL handled it.  Her leader sent me this picture.  
 
We took the girls home a day early from girls camp to get ready to go to the Olsen family reunion in Bear Lake.  They practiced that morning with their steers and here is how they look.  Sammy commented that the steers didn't seem as big this year.  Actually, they are bigger-- Sammy has just grown a foot or two. 



 So far, they are standing still really well.  That is giving us some hope that it won't be as stressful.  Who am I kidding? It's always stressful when your kid is in a show ring trying to lead a 2000 pound nervous animal with 5 other 2000 pound nervous animals! 
 We made it to Bear Lake.  The lake is absolutely full to the brim this year.  I don't remember ever seeing it this full-- and this is year 19 for coming to the Olsen reunion (yes, Rich and I have been married 19 years this December!!!) Here is a picture of the girls and me.  I am right in the middle.  Sammy has longer feet than me, but is still an inch shorter in height.  She wears size 9 now! I am a 7.5, and Laura Lee is a 6.5.  
Here are the littles hanging out on the banana.  Poor Uncle Cass was hurt badly when all the bigger kids and he went for a ride on it.  It flipped over, and someone's knee slammed into his shoulder blade.  He hasn't been able to move his left arm up at all.  It was x-rayed but they couldn't find any thing and said that it probably has a hairline fracture, and to just not move it.  

Here is a be-freckled cutie.

 Sammy and I snuck away Thursday night and drove to the other end of the lake and saw a play at Pickleville Playhouse.  Her instructors from the workshop she was in played in the lead roles.  They greet the audience when the play is over.  Here she is with Whitley and Derrik.  It was really well done-- one of the best plays I've seen for a while-- they were hilarious and so professional.  When they saw her they said, "Sammy! You came! You just keep growing every time we see you! You were so small when you started the workshops with us!"  They are so sweet and so supportive of the kids that they work with.  Amazingly talented as well.  

Here she is with her group instructor, Slater.  He played the cross-dressing wolf and several other roles in Shrek, and was hilarious.  He said, "Sam! So good to see you!" and gave her a hug.  Sammy was thrilled that they acknowledged her.  They are really genuine people.  


 Lisa is great at providing games for the cousins.  They had a mini-pie eating contest.  Here is a participant.
 Next, she had Uncle Rob and Cousin Mike put on shirts plastered with all types of candy.  Then she let the cousins loose to chase them and grab as much candy as they could.  
 We got home Friday night, and Saturday morning the kids were out practicing again.  It's getting toward crunch time!
  This morning we are heading off to Coalville to welcome home cousin Matt Boyer.  He returned form the Kansas Wichita mission on Thursday.  That's a wrap for the week, folks!!

3 comments:

Jangs said...

I love your week. Dad and I read it early this morning together. So fun to see what everyone is doing. The steers look good. I will miss seeing the kids show them this year. You are right. It is heart pounding. WE love you all so much and miss being with your. Keep up the posts and the good things!

michaelstubbs said...

You are so funny. I love your writing and the pictures. I am glad that you are all having a fun/busy summer. Let's TP the homes of the mean girls.

Julie said...

Aw thanks Mike-- that means a lot because you are a fantastic writer. I will go TPing-- that would be fun!